Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vicky Christina Barcelona

This is an interesting film, and it has me thinking about last night.
The movie is only 20 minutes in, and already i can tell I like the characters. 2 women go away to Barcelona for a summer. They meet a guy (a painter) who takes them on a random trip.

I love it.

Last night I met a couple who was visiting our bar. We were chatting and it came out that he was from Lebanon. Upon which I shouted how much I LOVE Beirut. Apparently, this is the best thing that I could have said, because after some conversation, we agreed to continue our dialogue and pretty much we agreed to converse about me working for their company. Based out of Lebanon, and traveling the region to do different projects, M&E....

Are you kidding me. This is like THE best news that I have heard in a very long time.
I mean, even with my pending career changing interview in exactly 20 days, I am still looking at other options... always looking at other options.

Well, such is the way of the world. The film is 54 minutes in. Penelope Cruz is in it. So that means that this has film has jumped to my top four...because Penelope...is kind of my prototype.

At least the characters that she has played.

Living in Beirut was a dream of mine that developed since the second I got off of the plane there. And the week just kept on getting better, and better, and better. And the culture, and the people that I met, and the life, and the parties, and the beaches...and the spirit of life.

While there I met some amazing artists. Photographers, painters, movie directors, art house curators, writers, actors...wow. So naturally, I was inclined to just pack up and go to art school there.
And then there was this picture that I saw. One of the creative types that I met there had taken a picture that she took of herself at 8:15 am while still lazing around in bed. It was beautiful. And there I went romanticizing about this ideal of waking up to an adventure everyday...starting with that early glimpse of life in her eyes.

Its not so much the job, or the exciting feeling of the place, its the newness. It is the not knowing. it is the feeling that tomorrow is different from today.
The world....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIITTTTTTTT. :)

Going to art school will change your life... hehe. :)

OhMyHeart said...

Ah, how beautifully written! I also fantasize about specific places and people more so than a specific job I think. Usually I'm too scared to do anything about it though. But networking totally, totally rules. It's so much easier to get a job that way than by randomly applying.

Good luck!!