Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Last Year

I wrote this last year. People ask about the security surge here and if it makes a difference.
I used to track a metric about attacks on people...the curve and trend were definitely downward. People here no longer have to ask if their children will return home from school, and can now be concerned with if the power will stay on long enough to watch Oprah.

Are things working?

Below, One year ago.


7 am snooze
:15,:30,:45,8,:15...snooze.
8:17, groggy eyes open, walk outside to allow the crisp desert air shock me to alertness. 8:18 Stretch, yawn.
8:19. the bomb went off.
And my heart is racing. Indeed, I should have snoozed to 8:30 because I know I can sleep through the explosions, however, If I am lucid, they irk the hell out of me.

So I find myself sleeping more, thinking naught but of the last thoughts before I close my eyes.
-my family
-my her
-my outfit for the next morning
-what if there is no next morning.

Some mornings there are no explosions, no rockets, no bombs, nothing. And others.....well, It is still a warzone.sooooo yeah. I signed up for this.

No comments: